Client Story: AM Cranes & RiggingAugust 4, 2020
AM Cranes & Rigging, (AMC) based in Darwin, provides crane hire throughout remote locations in the Northern Territory and Queensland. Headed by Adam Murrihy, a long-term client of Chris Gebhardt of Oreon Partners, it has been in operation for 11 years and has seen extensive growth taking part in major construction projects around Darwin and Katherine. AMC is now a major business in Darwin, holding cranes with capacities ranging from 15 tonnes to 400 tonnes.
A search for a new software solution
Operating on a legacy accounting platform which was struggling to keep up with cloud technologies, AMC needed a shift in direction to support their growing business. For consideration of a new accounting platform, they identified the following needs:
- Invoicing (preparation and emailing)
- GST/BAS management
- Job/project accounting and profitability analysis
- Regional/divisional accounting and profitability analysis
- Budget management vs. actual
- Maintenance of a live asset register with depreciation
- Payroll with STP and superannuation compliance
- High-level integration of 3rd party software (inclusive of cloud document management)
- Scale to more basic versions for minor trading entities
- Future-proof to cater to a growing business
- And most importantly, something easy to use!
Following Oreon Partner’s recommendation, AMC opted for Xero as their main accounting platform. Whilst Xero is capable of covering the above needs, it also has a high level of integration with 3rd party applications if more specialist software is required. And since it’s cloud based, it’s not dependant on IT hardware and can operate on any device in any location.
Using Xero, we were able to help AMC achieve the following:
- Get up to date and close off the existing system
- Convert data from old platform into Xero (inclusive of STP payroll)
- Provide guidance on integration with 3rd party applications
- Complete the integration via an onsite visit
- Provide specialised training onsite
- Follow up post-completion
By liaising with Oreon Partners Manager Matt Hosking, AMC was able to quickly convert across to Xero during some rare downtime for the business. This meant conversion had to happen during the financial year (not normal procedure) and clean reconciliation of the information on hand was paramount.
With Matt’s site visit to Darwin (and borrowing the old company ute!), he was able to ensure that AMC was able to convert to the new system with very minimal trouble and within the time frame prescribed. Most challenges presented were able to be resolved on site.
As a result, Oreon can now liaise with AMC’s accounting data in real time, anywhere, on any device. This is particularly useful for assisting with their accounting function, perform activity statement lodgements, and discuss and customise financial reports. This has been particularly useful recently whilst handling trading issues surrounding COVID-19.
Our team at Oreon has been able to provide instant, customised reports for budgeting for the months ahead. To be constantly in touch with clients, irrespective of location, in order to provide timely business and tax advice has been incredibly useful, particularly during the COVID situation.
For more information on AM Cranes & Rigging, please visit their website.